PM Digital’s latest Trend Report: Makeup and Skincare Brands Online, explores the current state of beauty e-tail, highlighting the cross-channel influencers encouraging beauty customers to purchase online. Some of the key findings are:
- After Avon and Mary Kay, the five largest brands — Olay, Maybelline, M.A.C. Cosmetics, COVERGIRL, and Eyes, Lips, Face (e.l.f.) — capture 20% of online market share for traditional web traffic, based on total U.S. visits to 45 makeup and skincare sites in 2013.
- Search engines drove nearly 40% of clicks to makeup and skincare sites. The second highest traffic driver in December was competitive shopping sites, whose clicks still accounted for less than half of those from search.
- Google alone accounts for 30% of referrals to makeup and skincare brand sites (nearly 10x as much as Bing).
- Most brands are doing e-commerce. Brands with larger market shares have the budgets to do more paid search, but even most of the smallest players have about half their traffic coming from paid search.
- Social networking and email sites together account for 24% of traffic (12% each) to makeup and skincare brand sites, which is significantly more than these two sources generally contribute in other industries.
To download the full report, please fill out the form below.